Written by: Jenna Yesenosky
Picture this: You’re driving with the top down with your best friends in the whole world going who-knows-where and fast. Now, imagine yourself laying out in the sun without a worry in the world, except deciding when to reapply your SPF 30. Finally, think back to your fam’s 4th of July barbecue. What’s missing from all of these summer scenarios? The soundtrack, of course! What would a day trip with friends, a cookout with family, or a night out on the town be without one? If you’re not sure what songs to add to your “Summer 2k16!!” playlist or if you’re just looking for some new additions, you’ve come to the right place! Here are The Top 10 Best Summer Songs of All Time.
- Under The Boardwalk//The Drifters – Throwing it back to the 60s with the original summer anthem, Under the Boardwalk is such a summer staple that it has its own tribute, quite literally, under the Wildwood boardwalk! Next time you’re on the Wildwood log flume, if you’re not too busy complaining about how soaking wet you are, listen for the crooning of The Drifters.
- Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka-dot Bikini//Bryan Hyland – Another old school throwback, this song seems to be one that everyone knows the words to. We don’t know how, we don’t really know why, but somehow these lyrics were memorized very early on in our lives. This song also brings back memories for me, personally. It inspired a very intense, very lengthy, search for a yellow polka-dot bikini back in summer ‘05, so naturally I have to include it for my 6-year-old self, who never did get that yellow bathing suit.
- Summer Girls//LFO – The 90s were wild times full of scrunchies, high-waisted jeans, and notoriously, boybands. LFO’s song Summer Girls is perhaps the closest thing we have to a 4 minute and 18 second summary of the iconic 90s era. If you want to feel really nostalgic and suddenly have the urge to put your hair in a crimped side ponytail, this song is definitely right for you.
- Ocean Avenue//Yellowcard – Ocean Avenue was not just a catchy tune to belt the lyrics out to with your besties in your mom’s minivan, but it also told the tale of the most epic summer love story of the 2000s. A summer crush that lasted years beyond August? Yes, please! Paired with a catchy beat and a summer vibe, this song was perfect for a beach party in 2003, and it’s still a great throwback for 2016!
- Beautiful Soul//Jesse McCartney – Jesse McCartney can easily be described as the poster child of the early 2000s, and every girl’s first crush. Where would this world be without him? His song Beautiful Soul was the anthem of 2004 as a whole, specifically that summer. Ask any girl what song was on repeat on her pink iPod nano that year, and she’ll most definitely reply Beautiful Soul without missing a beat. Blast this in your beach house to invoke an all-inclusive sing along, complete with embarrassing dance moves and lots of laughter.
- Summer Love//Justin Timberlake – Not only was this summer jam on repeat from June 1st to August 31st of 2006, but it’s also sung by the one and only Justin Timberlake, who may be hotter than the summer sun itself. Next time you’re listening to this classic, close your eyes and picture Justin serenading you. You won’t regret it.
- California Gurls//Katy Perry – This song was the anthem of 2010, with its poppy beat and sassy lyrics. It had everyone wishing they were a California girl. California is cool I guess, but Jersey girls know the real fun is next to the Atlantic Ocean. While you’re rocking out to this beat on the East coast this summer, don’t be afraid to let everyone know that Jersey girls do it much better. 😉
- Call Me Maybe//Carly Rae Jepsen – This song was so popular in 2012 that some people don’t want to hear it for another century. Before you put in your ear plugs and swear Jepsen’s tunes off completely, listen one more time. I promise the second the catchy beat hits your ears you’ll remember why everyone was so obsessed 3 years ago!
- Rude//Magic! – With its reggae sound and chill vibe, this song is the perfect background noise for a lazy day at the pool or in the sand. Add this to your Spotify playlist if you’re looking to kick back and relax this summer.
- Love Yourself//Justin Bieber – Making his comeback in 2015, Justin Bieber has taken the world by storm with his album in just a few short months. It seems like everyone has been humming along to Love Yourself, or making the lyrics the caption to their selfie, or tweeting how much they “loooove Justin’s new album.” My prediction is that this will be everyone’s go-to song for their barbecues this year. Add it to your playlist now to be ahead of the curve!
With so many songs to choose from and so many more to be discovered, it’s hard to narrow a list into just 10 songs. The best songs are the ones you make memories to, so plug in your headphones, gather your girls, and get started! Summer may feel far away but it’s really just around the corner and it won’t be long until we’ll all be putting these playlists to good use.