Written by: Elizabeth DePaul
As if summer weekends down the shore weren’t already the best, when you add in some sweet treats they become even better. Whether you’re strolling the boardwalk with your besties or hosting a girls’ night, here are some quintessential summer snacks that are worth dreaming about all year long:
- French Fries: Curly, crinkly, cheese, crab…there are so many options and any kind makes for the perfect indulgence while you walk the boardwalk. Order a bucket at Jilly’s French Fry Factory (1034 Boardwalk, Ocean City, NJ), find the best people-watching bench, and enjoy!
- Donuts: Is there anything better than waking up to fresh donuts for breakfast? Kohler’s Bakery (2709 Dune Drive, Avalon, NJ) has cream donuts that are simply perfect paired with an iced coffee and enjoyed on the porch.
- Caramel Corn: Grab some caramel corn for your next movie night to punch up the snack bar. Just a handful of this sweet popcorn will transport you back to breezy boardwalk nights. You can pick up a tin all year long at Johnson’s Popcorn (Ocean City and Wildwood, NJ) or order it online during the off-season.
- Lemonade: Almost every boardwalk has a fresh-squeezed lemonade stand, a great spot to quench your thirst during a hot beach day and complement a bucket of curly fries (see #10). Check out Bob’s Fresh Lemonade (708 Boardwalk, Ocean City, NJ) for this tangy treat.
- Funnel Cake: This fried, powdered sugared boardwalk treat is perfect to pick up after a night riding the ferris wheel. The best way to eat this twisted cake is off a gigantic plate, shared with friends, and enjoyed on a warm summer night. Bonus: Here are some fun facts on the origin of the funnel cake.
- Salt Water Taffy: There’s nothing that says summer down the shore quite like untwisting a chewy taffy and taking a bite. You can find salt water taffy at Fralinger’s (1519 Boardwalk, Atlantic City, NJ) and The Original Fudge Kitchen (locations in Ocean City, Stone Harbor, Wildwood, and Cape May, NJ). Brush up on the history of salt water taffy so you can impress your besties while you discuss your favorite flavors.
- Cotton Candy: It’s pink, it’s sugary, and it’s sold almost everywhere on the boardwalk – there’s no doubt this is a favorite shore sweet! One bite and it instantly reminds you of skee ball, flip flops, and childhood summers, which makes it a great nostalgic treat.
- Pizza: Walking off the beach onto the boardwalk and grabbing a slice of pizza is one of the best parts of a summer beach day. Manco and Manco is right off the Ocean City, NJ boardwalk (and most locations are open year round), and Circle Pizza (2108 Dune Dr, Avalon, NJ) is also a good choice for a bite after the beach.
- Fudge: Let’s be real for a sec — we’ve all gone out of our way to walk by The Original Fudge Kitchen and snag a free sample of their delicious, creamy fudge. So many flavors to choose from (peanut butter, cookies and cream, and chocolate marshmallow just to name a few…), locations in most shore points, and shipping all year long means you can get a fudge fix any time you please.
- Ice Cream: Whether scoops, soft serve, sundaes, sprinkles, or a shake, ice cream is simply the ultimate shore sweet treat. For hand dipped, check out Springer’s (9420 3rd Ave, Stone Harbor, NJ) and Marita’s (5912 Landis Ave, Sea Isle City, NJ), soft serve is best at Kohr Bros (locations in Ocean City, Stone Harbor, Wildwood, and Cape May, NJ) and Avalon Freeze (23rd & Dune Dr, Avalon, NJ), or go for a sundae at the retro-inspired Cool Scoops (1111 New Jersey Ave, North Wildwood, NJ).
What’s your favorite shore snack? Let us know in the comments section below! 🙂